Saturday, October 02, 2010

Housekeeping

I've just spent a couple of hours tidying up my website, which hasn't been touched since Gardens of the Sun was first published last year; it suffered from inattention after I started blogging, just as the blogging has suffered ever since I started tweeting. Haven't done anything fancy, just cleared out some crufty links and extraneous material. Still have to fix a few links here and there. What it really needs is a complete redesign. I set it up way, way back in 1995 (or was it 1994?) using basic HTML coding, and haven't really done anything to it since. Now it's really showing its age. Am wondering whether to find someone who can do a nice clean simple design, or leave it as a repository for stories and other stuff I've released into the wild. After the advent of social media, do people even look at author's websites any more?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Duncan said...

Hmm. I spent a lot of time on your website when I first found it. However, having been through it, it's the updates on your blog that mostly tempt me back.

And perhaps if there was an easy to find link here, more people would look at it.

October 03, 2010 12:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, people do.

Perhaps particularly science fiction people.

October 03, 2010 7:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a whole folder labeled SF Writers that I check daily. Not to worry--Greg Bear hasn't updated his blog since June 2009. But I keep checking.

October 05, 2010 9:55 am  
Anonymous nick said...

I didn't even know you *had* a website.

Website should contain: blog posts, twitter posts, pages about what you've done. Blogger is a terrible system for running a blog on your own website (believe me, I did it for years), Wordpress is much better at content organization and self-blog hosting. Wordpress theming isn't too hard if you know a bit about CSS and/or hire someone who knows how to theme wordpress, or find a framework that allows you to customize the layout/design without a lot of back-end mucking around.

You can also import your blogger posts into wordpress to keep the complete historical archive.

October 05, 2010 10:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts