Friday, July 30, 2010

Expecting Something Taller


So I finished the second draft of the new novel yesterday, and here it is, printed off. Hmm, 150,000 words plus doesn't look as big in the real world . . .

Now all I need is a break, and then a couple of red pens and a decent stretch of peace and quiet so that I can cut it into shape. Some people can compose and redraft and edit entire novels on screen. I need at least one go at an actual manuscript, with wide margins for notes and second- and third-thoughts. I started off writing on a manual typewriter, old habits die hard, and it's easier to spot goofs on the page than on the screen, for some reason. After that, there's at least one more on-screen draft before it's printed out again, and sent off to the publisher.

The title is a working title, by the way. Not yet officially approved. But I like it.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Ian Sales said...

Is it set near Fomalhaut?

July 30, 2010 10:20 am  
Blogger Paul McAuley said...

Bingo!

July 30, 2010 4:42 pm  
Blogger PeteY said...

In the Mouth of the Whale, eh? Do you know the Italian good luck expressions, "in the mouth of the wolf," and "in the arse of the whale?" I wish I could remember the exact Italian.

July 31, 2010 4:21 am  
Blogger Paul McAuley said...

I didn't, and might be useful... thanks!

July 31, 2010 9:36 am  
Anonymous Sergey said...

Relax a little bit, Paul!
It's right time to do it.
I'm also writing on the paper and reading hard copies of my articles ;)

July 31, 2010 9:02 pm  
Blogger PeteY said...

Here's the details. Suppose Alice is wishing Bob good luck, say in exams or something. The exchange goes:
Alice: In bocca al lupo! (In the mouth of the wolf!)
Bob: Crepi! (It dies!)

The whale one goes:
Alice: In culo alla balena! (In the arse of the whale!)
Bob: Speriamo che non caghi! (Let's hope it doesn't shit!)

Apparently there's yet another one about hedgehogs, but I haven't yet found out about that.

August 04, 2010 12:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts